Monday, June 25, 2012

In the Summertime

To quote the great Mungo Jerry, "In the Summertime, when the weather is high," it's smallmouth fishing time!  Ok, maybe that's not exactly how it goes, but that is how I like to think of it.  This afternoon, I snuck out for a few hours to a local put-and-take stocked creek that I was told is loaded with smallmouth.  The rumors were true, and I had an absolute blast catching smallmouth after smallmouth all evening long.  While most of the fish weren't giants, I saw a few really good fish and had a big momma follow my popper for a good 10 feet before she saw me and was outta there.  I caught fish on foam poppers, a Dahlberg Diver, and on pink, black and olive Zuddlers, all down sized for this little creek.  If you've never tried Smallmouth fishing with a fly rod, DO IT! It is an absolute blast and while I love trout fishing, it's hard to beat the fight of an angry smallmouth.  So, grab a few small poppers, some little streamers, a fast action 4 or 5 wt. and get after it!

This guy was super pissed and very strong for his size

He couldn't resist that little pink Zuddler bouncing around in front of him

I wonder why they call them Smallmouths?

Last but not least, a grainy picture of a deer from like a hundred yards away

No comments:

Post a Comment