Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lehigh Bassin'

Well today was the inaugural float of my new two man pontoon boat and it was a scorcher.  Temperatures were around 100 degrees for most of the day, but my buddy Shane and I decided the best way to cool off would be with some hot smallmouth action.  (See what I did there.)  Hot smallmouth action is not what we found, however, as the fishing was pretty terrible for most of the day.  I spent the majority of our trip behind the oars, but we stopped to fish a few times and I did make a few casts in some likely looking water with nothing to show for it.  Even though the Lehigh River bass were not cooperating, we had an absolute blast on the water today.  The one and only smallmouth landed today was Shane's first ever smallmouth caught on a fly rod.  A fat 17" fish is not a bad way to start a smallmouth career.  Again, awesome job man!  The fish fell to an olive Zuddler stripped behind a giant boulder in the middle of the river.  Well technically "off" of a giant boulder as Shane's cast was a bit too far and the fly landed right on top of it. The fish absolutely CRUSHED the fly as it dropped into the water and the fight was on.  Shane had a ton of fish follow and nose the fly, but very few committals.  Hey, that's fishing for you.  Overall, it was a great day on the water spent with a good friend and I have to say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new boat.  I'm floating the Skuk tomorrow with my dad, so we will see how that goes.  Now for some pictures!

Gearing up

Keep on pumpin!


Becker with a big silly grin on his face hooked up to a bronze and olive freight train

Fishy in the water

That bass gave that 6 wt just about all it could handle

And the pot of gold (or maybe bronze) at the end of the rainbow

Piggy wanted that Zuddler

Right before we sent the fish back to his rock

1 comment: